We treat a lot of patients in both of our clinics and one of the most common reasons we have patients come in is for lower back pain. So we thought we’d spend a little time and come together with a few top tips and general advice on lower back pain symptoms.
- Low back pain is a very common problem, it is estimated that 80% of people will suffer with low back pain at some point in their lives.
- The vast majority have nothing wrong and your back is not “out of place”. It is very rarely a structural issue.
- Scans are very rarely needed and very often show results that aren’t relevant to the symptoms. For example a high percentage of people who don’t have back pain will have disc bulges
- Movement is the best thing you can do, avoid bed rest. Keeping immobile with cause more stiffness within the joint and will prolong the back pain.
- Lifting and bending are normal movements and should not be avoided. Keep moving as pain allows.
- Take pain medication as required and as advised by medical professionals. This will enable you move more, sooner and improve the recovery time.
- Lack of sleep, stress and low mood will make the back pain worse.
If your back pain continues, or you’d like us to have a good look and get to the cause of the problem, come and see us at Allen physiotherapy for expert advice.